Top Row

Enrichment Options

Taking College Classes

Tips to keep in mind when considering Community College:

  • It is not mandatory to take a community college class to be admitted to college
  • All classes and grades must be reported to colleges
  • College classes do not always replace D or F grades earned in high school courses, even if LHS approves a replacement course
  • Students attempting to replace a D or F grade on their high school transcript should talk to their guidance counselor about the course being considered
  • Students are encouraged to explore a subject not offered in high school, such as Psychology or Astronomy, or take a class for enrichment – take Guitar lessons or Hip Hop Dance just for fun. 
  • If you are trying to earn college units, please visit the ASSIST website to identify UC and CSU transferable college courses.
  • To determine if a class counts as a UC a-g course for eligibility (to meet minimum requirements) visit the UC Course List webpage

Please note: Enrichment classes taken at a community college will not be recorded on the LHS high school transcript, but remain on the college transcript. It is the student’s responsibility to report college courses on college applications and submit official transcripts during the application process. Because Lynbrook believes that students should balance their academic loads, students are limited to one college class per quarter/semester. Students with special circumstances must speak to their guidance counselor and may possibly be referred to their assistant principal.

Community College Processes

Each community college has its own policy regarding age and grade level of students eligible to take courses. They also have their own rules for what classes high school students can take. Please visit their websites to find school-specific information. 

Lynbrook Process

  • Steps 1 and 2: Apply to the community college you intend to attend
  • Step 3: Download and complete the correct concurrent enrollment form from the community college website above
  • Step 4: Bring the concurrent enrollment form to your Guidance Counselor in the Lynbrook main office for the required signature.

Please note, If you are taking a community college class to replace a grade on your transcript, you must also submit a Request for Credit from an Outside Educational Institution form to the main office. Courses taken for enrichment purposes are not transferred to the LHS transcript.

Summer Enrichment/Course Advancement

In some cases, students would like to take summer classes to get ahead in curriculum or to help balance the workload for the following year. In order to request credits on the LHS transcript, students must submit a Request for Credit form and await approval prior to registering for the course.

Students who wish to take courses for fun or personal growth are welcome to do so, however, many of these courses do not  transfer to the LHS transcript.

The deadline to request credit for enrichment courses on the LHS Transcript is April 2019. Specific Date will be updated. Remember to submit a course description with the request for credit form.