Before attending Lynbrook High School, all new students must establish residency through the district office. Once a student establishes residency, the family receives information from Lynbrook High School regarding course selection. For incoming 9th grade families, we know coming to high school can be a bit anxiety-provoking and you may have a number of questions. While course selection may seem like a complicated process with lots of choices, it is not. We will help you and your student build the 9th grade schedule in a step-by-step method during the 8th Grade Course Selection Night in February. In addition, we offer this list, though not exhaustive, of Frequently Asked Questions.
Course selection occurs in February. Students and parents/guardians will be provided a brief overview of our courses and an opportunity to ask questions. Please review courses available prior to the evening using the online course description guide. It is very important that both students and parents attend the information meeting!
Our Special Education Lead Resource Teacher and English Language Development (ELD) Liaison will be available at the course selection evening to provide support to families.
Lynbrook boasts a thriving elective program with a variety of options to help foster student's interests while allowing them to explore and discover new ones. Below are some highlights for prospective students to enjoy.
- theEPIC (Journalism)
- Instrumental Music Program
- Lynbrook Arts
- Art Portfolio Challenge
- Computer Science
- Lynbrook Choir
- Music Genesis
- Why Study French?
- Understanding the Chinese Program (English)
- Understanding the Chinese Program (Mandarin)
- Culinary Arts
- Independent STEM Research
- Business @ Lynbrook
- ASB Leadership
Beginning in 2023-24, Lynbrook is excited to offer 2 semester-long classes (the classes will be paired together to make a year-long course.) Intro to Ethnic Studies and Health will count as elective credit for graduation and are expected to be UC/CSU approved as G-elective courses.
For more information on these courses, click on this link.
- What does it mean to establish residency?
- When do I register for classes at Lynbrook?
- I am coming from a private school and/or from out-of-the-state or country. What do I need to know and do?
- As an incoming 9th grader, can I take a summer class?
- As a current 9th, 10th or 11th grader, can I take a summer class?
- Can I take a high school level class in 7th or 8th grade and receive course credit at Lynbrook?
- How do I get placed into a World Language class at Lynbrook?
- As a 9th Grader, can participation on a LHS athletic team exempt me from PE or earn PE credit?
- Can I take two classes in the same subject in one year? For example: Can I choose two science classes or two world language classes?
- I want to play a musical instrument in high school. What do I need to know?
- I am an 8th grader, can I meet with an LHS Guidance Counselor?
- How do I select a math course?