The Week Ahead @LHS January 16-20, 2023
News & Information
No School Monday - In observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, there will be no school on Monday, January 16th.
Spring Play Auditions - Studio 74's spring play will be Clue, a hilarious farce-meets-murder mystery. Auditions for Clue will be in room 74 on Tuesday and Wednesday, January 17-18. Possible callbacks will happen on Thursday, January 19. Perusal scripts are available for auditions. See Mr. Wenner in Studio 74 for more details.
CSF Second Semester Applications Open - Lynbrook CSF's Second Semester member applications are now open for new members. Students may apply to join the largest honor society and service club on campus and to participate in socials, earn volunteer hours, meet our amazing members, and work towards a stole at graduation. Second-semester applications are open to all students, from freshmen to seniors. More application instructions can be found at bit.ly/csfapp2. Please note that first semester members do not need to reapply. All application components are due Friday, January 20th.
Middle College - Current 10th and 11th graders interested in learning more about Middle College should attend an informational meeting on Wednesday, February 1st (this is the NEW date), during Tutorial in the LHS auditorium. Middle College is an educational alternative for FUHSD juniors and seniors who need a different high school environment in order to achieve success — academically, socially and/or emotionally. Students earn high school and college credit simultaneously, complete requirements for high school graduation and explore individual interests through a diverse college curriculum.
STTAR Tutor Program - Students who would like to improve their grade in a particular subject may request a STTAR tutor. A STTAR Tutor Request form can be found under "NEED A TUTOR?" on the STTAR webpage: https://lhs.fuhsd.org/guidance-student-support/sttar-tutoring.
Homework Center - Homework Center will resume on Monday, January 9th. Students may drop in to Homework Center after school in the Library and get started on assignments. Student tutors are available until 4:45 pm on Homework Center days. Textbooks are available for use in the Library. For more information, visit https://lhs.fuhsd.org/guidance-student-support/high-school-planning/academic-support.
Homework Center is open three days a week:
• Mondays 3:55-5:00 pm
• Wednesdays 3:15-5:00 pm
• Thursdays 3:55-5:00 pm
Week of January 16-23 Bell Schedule
DECA - This past weekend 65 DECA students from Lynbrook attended the Silicon Valley Career Development Conference. This local conference hosted 11 high schools and ~750 students as they took exams, prepped their pitches, and presented in front of judges (business professionals). As in the past, our students were highly responsible and well prepared for the event, finding much success. Some of the students competed individually, while others worked in teams. We commend all of the students for their hard work and participation, with special thanks to their advisors, Kathleen Loia, Malissa Goldstein, and Andrea Badger. Many of the judges praised the kids and could not believe they were in high school. Of the 65 competitors, Lynbrook had:
- 33 place in the top 10 in a minor award category (i.e. best exam score or best role play; some placing in multiple events)
- 18 place in the top 3 in a minor award category
- 34 place in the top 10 for a Grand Award
- 20 place in the top 3 for a Grand Award
Science Olympiad - Congratulations to Lynbrook Science Olympiad for their performance at the Mira Loma Invitational in Sacramento this past Saturday, placing as the fourth-ranked high school. Lynbrook Science Olympiad sent two teams of 15 students each. These teams placed 5th and 10th overall, with 21 students winning Top 5 medals across 23 events in the fields of science and engineering. Sci Oly's next competition is this Saturday at UC Davis.
Congratulations to our Mira Loma Invitational medalists:
A Note from Principal Jackson
Special Events & Important Dates
- Official Semester 1 Grades Mailed, Monday, 1/23/23
- Rally, Friday, 1/27/23
Happy three-day weekend!
The Advisory Assemblies on Friday, 1/13/23, were relevant to our students' lives. Thank you to PTSA for sponsoring Mike Domitrz from The Center for Respect and LExE for sponsoring Dr. Cheri Mah from the Stanford Sleep Center.
We continue to make at-home antigen test kits available while supplies last. Staff and students can come to the GSS office and see Mrs. Melissa Tao. At home tests are also available again from the US government at https://www.covid.gov/tests. Masks are encouraged but not required and are available by request in the GSS office.
With COVID, RSV, and the flu season, it is critically important that staff and students stay home if sick to keep from spreading any of these illnesses to others. As a reminder:
- Staff and students who develop new, unexplained symptoms should not return to campus until it is clear that symptoms are mild and improving or are due to a non-infectious cause (e.g., allergies). This includes waiting until 24 hours have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Positive COVID-19 cases must be reported to your school site. When reporting an absence and/or positive COVID-19 case, explain the symptoms you are experiencing, the date of onset of these symptoms and whether you have been in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case. This information will help staff to advise you on next steps per County Public Health guidelines. Contact Assistant Principal Tara Grande (408.366-7707) and/or Attendance Technician Jena Rajabally (408.366-7708) for assistance.
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 must continue to follow the CDC's Isolation Guidelines, staying home and isolating for at least 5 days. Individuals may return to school on Day 6, IF they no longer have symptoms AND have a negative COVID-19 test. Otherwise, individuals may be required to isolate for up to 10 days if symptoms persist and they continue to test positive
Class of 2023 Grad Night Fundraiser
Bring on the Burgers! 🍔 Wednesday, January 18th 🍔
Mention our Lynbrook High School Grad Night fundraiser at Super Duper Burger (Westgate location - Prospect Rd) and they will donate 20% of your bill back to us. So treat yourself to a veggie or meat burger 🍔 with some of those famous garlic fries 🍟 and support a good cause. Spread the word because every order counts. p.s. They have salads 🥗 too!!